Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Seiko H558-5000 "Arnie" mini service



I've photographed some of the stages when replacing a battery and gaskets on my faithful H558. This watch was my first real diver's watch and I've bought it new in 1989 with my first real salary. This model has the "Arnie" nickname  becuse Arnold Swarchenegger wore it in a few of his action films. It has also one of James Bond's watches in "A view to a kill.
Now for the service. First, I took off the shroud and strap




Then the case back and crown.




The next picture shows the case empty, crown and movement out, and a piece of film is placed so less dust and other stuff won't find their way into the case and inner crystal face. You can see one of the pushers is already out, after removing the "C" clip that holds it in place (tricky)




Close look on the pusher, it has a double gasket configuration




A look at the pusher's tube on the case




The movement waits patiently




The old battery is out, and I do it by removing only one screw and loosening the other, that way it will be easier for me to close it later




I had to choose between a Renata and a Seizaiken (the original Seiko battery brand), chose the Seizaiken




New battery is secured, anti-magnetic shield is in too




Now the green movement holder is in place




And the Arnie is ticking away!




After that, the Arnie's functions where tested including light and sound (pushing the two pushers simultaneously), then taken for a pressure test at a watch supply store near by, passed the 10 bar with no problems. Didn't bother to check the crystal gasket which was replaced less than a year ago.
Replaced: Battery, case back gasket, pushers gaskets.

Thanks for looking'
Galpo



10 comments:

  1. Nice blog.I never saw a blog explaining in so detail and with pictures for replacing battery in a wrist watch.I appreciate the efforts that you spent on writing.Good job man!
    what is a digital signature

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the good words :)
    The aragement and design of the blog is really
    very easy to do, very user-friendly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Helpful info!, I have an H558-500a that I am ready to sell and would like to chat with you about it if possible. Email me...kirbymr1@gmail.com

    Thanks,
    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi - would anybody be interested in my complete 1984 Seiko UC-2000 Wrist Information System which appears to be in fine working order and is in its original packaging/boxes and has all 3 manuals? If so, it's just been listed on E-bay. I can be contacted at: dulcieogilvie@yahoo.co.uk
    All the best,
    Richard.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Galpo,

    That was a GREAT write up and pictures!!

    Is there any movement of the green movement spacer, once it's in place? In other words, does it slide around at all?

    Do you (or anyone else) know if the green spacer comes in different sizes?

    The reason I ask is because I took my 558 into a watchman today and he said the green spacer on mine was too small and that it was sliding around, thus allowing a slight movement of the watch movement module.

    Can anyone help?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi thebronze, thank you for the kind words.
    As far as I remember, the green spacer has a little play.
    Your watchmaker have to pay attention to how he places it
    in place and when he screws the back it will hold the movement in place.
    If it still moves, somthing is wrong in the way he placed it.
    You can see in the picture (one before the last) that it has grooves
    for the battery and the little metal arm.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Galpo, thank you for the post and have a happy New Year!
    I have the same watch and I'm going to change a battery, but, unfortunately, your photos is not available right now... Can you, please, re-post them?
    Thank you in advance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there Albert,
      Unfortunately FB have block my photos from being posted. I can’t seem to solce it. If you need a photo or two write your email and i’ll try locating those and send you.

      Delete
    2. Hi, Galpo!
      I will be very appreciated if you send me some photos. My email is a1bertinho@yandex.ru
      Thank you!

      Delete