Thursday, July 28, 2011

Speedmaster relume and alignment

This is a little photographed log I've made for a restoration of my 1983 Omega Speedmaster.
Besides the non-original crystal that I've replaced immediately,
two things bothered me when I got it: the non-existing time reading in the dark (lume is dead)
and the seconds hand that wasn't lined up perfectly to 12:00.

Why not solve both problems together?

this is "before". the lume is dead, you can see it on the seconds hand.
Sorry, didn't take a shot of the misaligned hand, it was half a second to the right.




Out with the movement, off with the hands






The hands have to be stripped and cleaned from the old lume, then placed face down
and relumed. I've decided against repainting with white, it doesn't realy bother me.
I'm aging too, that's life.




Here is the movement, hands with new lume in place
(it shows 01:00 but I did it at 12:00 for perfect alignment)



Movement goes inside the case




and of course - wrist and lume shots can't say it's a torch like on my relumed divers,
but now I hope to look at the speedy in the dark and actually see something...







Side note: I did practice reluming for years on my garbage watches, then my good watches.
I'd never start this on my grail speedy, but after about 10 other relume project,
I felt I can do it. Glad I did.

Thanks for looking,
Galpo

No comments:

Post a Comment